Monday, March 17, 2008

Insecurities, Fear and Love

I was awake in my bed just a few seconds ago praying and felt that I needed to come and get this off my chest/share it with you. Here 'tis.

I was thinking about personality types and fear. Sometimes I think people (like me) who have quite... 'loud' personality types often struggle with a certain type of insecurity/fear. I was lying in my bed thinking that one of my greatest fears is that people at my work will one day turn around, take a look at me and say:

"What are you even doing in this profession? You are a fraud and you really have no idea what you're doing!"

I present a certain facade in the classroom, which is a necessary thing when I am teaching, and I present a certain facade in the professional arena for my colleagues. Perhaps 'facade' is an inaccurate word; perhaps it is more accurate to say that I exaggerate certain aspects who I am.

But the thing is this: I don't know everything about teaching. I make a lot of things up. Sometimes, on the spot. I 'ad lib' some of my classes. Sometimes, I throw what I had planned for the following term out the window and plan a terms worth of work in the classroom on the spot. Not just this though, but I am almost waiting for someone to come out of somewhere and tell me that I don't do yard duty 'right', I don't speak to students 'right', I don't interact with colleagues 'right', I don't plan curriculum 'right' and they now see the other parts of who I am and have decided that I am a totally inept member of the teaching profession.

Then I remembered something...

It wasn't actually me who made me join the teaching profession. Time and time again, I have had confirmation beyond my own powers that God has me exactly where He wants me. If that is true, then whether I should be allowed in a classroom or not is not something that I have to worry about at all. Apparently, God seems to think that I am suited to this job, or he wouldn't have put me here in the first place. Apparently, He has given/is giving me the skills that I need to be a blessing to my students and workplace.

I let the truth of that wash over me as I lay in bed. I was reminded of the verse:

"A perfect love casts out all fear" (1 John 4:18).

I imagined that God's truth and perfect love was entering into my body from toe to head, pushing the fear out as it moved powerfully through.

I am very glad that I offered God the choice of what profession I would enter into, because now I can trust him that as long as I am diligent, I don't need to be afraid of being 'exposed'.

10 Comments:

At 11:03 pm, March 18, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great revelation to have.
Much encouragement to you for sharing with us quite a personal experience.
How hard it is to put your life in God's hands, but what a release from anxiety and fear when you do.
Thanks again for sharing ;)

 
At 1:44 am, March 21, 2008, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

A)You're right... He has you right where He wants you.

B)We teach our teachers that good instruction comes from a person who is able to think on the spot and make adjustments where necessary, and also is able to drop something that isn't going to work or be relevant. So you're doing exactly the right thing!! :-)

 
At 9:19 pm, March 22, 2008, Blogger Martin Boutros said...

*hugs* DBoy

 
At 11:39 pm, March 24, 2008, Blogger mudbrick said...

Um.... I also have the firm belief that sometimes God says "I don't care what you do, as long as you use the gifts I gave you". And this applies because as a teacher (as i intend to be) you have to be a kind of 'Jack of all trades...', so there's lots that we're good at, though the other part of the saying also rings true (to me at least) '... Master of none', herein lies the doubt of our abilities.
But then again, God does apoint positions and put you where He wants, so it's right not to fear where He has put you.

 
At 3:56 pm, March 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an insane teacher.Don't ever lose that passion you have;it's infectious.

 
At 10:40 pm, March 26, 2008, Blogger Mutt said...

Yes, and also: You'd have to be doing pretty badly to do yard duty wrong.

I think you'd be hilariously aware of it.

 
At 10:47 am, March 31, 2008, Blogger wire said...

KK stole my sentiment - stole it HARDCORE!

Having talked to you abou all manner of literary and classroom(ary) things i've thought on a number of occasions that your kids must get to do the best coursework (especially when you were doing Tomorrow When the War Began).

My only criticism of you as a teacher and a professional is this: you don't give enough "wet-willies"?

 
At 4:06 pm, March 31, 2008, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I know you're not fishing for reassurance, but you are an amazing man who I really admire and I know you are an increidble teacher. I wish I had teachers like you when I was at school.

As cliche as this sounds, I think everyone feels like that at times. We all think that everyone else is more capable and competant than us. I know in theory it's easy to say that we are called and capable, otherwise God wouldn't call us there, even if we don't feel it. It's much harder to really believe this of course.

You have a real ability to make people feel at ease and ok with who they are. That is a gift.

 
At 2:05 pm, April 01, 2008, Blogger wire said...

"Wet-willies" are also a gift - you should give some.

 
At 3:32 am, May 01, 2008, Blogger scott said...

obama says, "i did not know that man, rev. wright."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home