Friday, June 24, 2005

Light FM: The Poor Man's RIMA

Ok, this is something that has been ticking over in my head for a very long time. Back in 2002, when I first heard that we were getting a Christian radio station, I was rapt. I had been following the est broadcasts of Triple 7 and Light Fm ever since I become a Christian, and I loved the stations. The test broadcast of Light FM was a little bit daggier, but I loved the fact that I could turn my radio on and hear awesome Christian content at any time of the day, especially the music.

Imagine my shock when I tuned into the permanent Light FM for the first time. What is going on?!?! I didn't, and still do not, understand how they justify playing non-Christian music. The very thing that drew me to the station was the thing that they were greatly compromising.

As it stands at the moment, Light FM play one Christian song in every 4, if you're lucky.
Not only that, but the Christian songs that they do play, are more often than not very mediocre in content (ie. generally no outward expression of faith - the only reason I know that they're Christian is because I know the artist).
Ok, the WHOLE REASON that we HAVE a Christian radio station is to provide Christian content! What do we gain if we, as Christians, are just like the rest of the world? I remember Martin (our pastor) giving a message a while ago saying that we are meant to be thermostats and not thermometers, changing the climate that we are in and not being changed by it.

Light FM's angle on why they play non-Christian music is something like this: to "build common ground with the vast majority of our listening audience" (taken from their website, www.lightfm.com.au).
Firstly, I don't think they have a clue who the 'vast majority' of their 'listening audience' is. Hello! Christian radio station = Christian listeners. Mainly.

Secondly, how do they think people come to know God? By exposing themselves to the same stuff they usually do, with the odd hidden Christian message underneath a whole lot of lyrics? Certainly not! But this is what Light FM is providing. Paul gives us a wonderful clue as to what turns people's hearts toward Jesus in 1 Cor 14:24-25: "But if an unbeliever... comes in while everyone is prophesying... the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"" (emphasis added).
The way to help people come to know God is NOT by being just like them! It is through love, prayer, prophecy, and all number of things that distinguish us from them.

Thirdly, they are doing an injustice to all of the Christian bands out there who are marginalised to time slots when noone is listening (ie. the "Green Room" from 10pm to 12am). This is an opportunity to give support to our brothers and sisters that has been wasted. Local Christian music should be intermingled in the normal playlists, not isolated and given a lesser level of respect than other non-Christian rubbish (and I mean rubbush).

Which brings me to my next point: the type of non-Christian music that they play. Seriously, if you're going to water down the radio station by diluting God content with other stuff, at least make it good other stuff!!! The crap that they play!!! If it isn't some crappy pop band from 10 years ago, it's some weird and stupid band from 20 years ago that noone has ever heard of!!! I reckon I've never even heard of 30% of the utter crap that they play on this station, and I've been an avid listener of Gold FM since I was in Grade 1! If you're going to play the most crappy music that you can get your hands on, at least make it Christian crappy music!

I am so disappointed with the way they have twisted what really worked as a test broadcast, and made it into a dungheap.

Ok, I've still got about 50 other things to say, but I'll pass the microphone around. What do you think?

10 Comments:

At 6:30 pm, June 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it.....? Is it? ....Is it REALLY you, guru?

*Swoons to the ground in dead faint*

* Stands up again, realising it looks stupid*

Interesting, I listen to other stations BECAUSE they don't play Christian music. I like music that makes me think - whether it is stating an ANSWER or a questtion, I like honest musicc, sometimes raw, sometimes comforting.

Christians are afraid to articulate their doubts or to capture the pain around them. It's as if they have to sing happy butterfly songs... Give me the Psalms or Ecclesiastes or Job... those bible dudes did real life! Real Life!

Hmmm? Should we barrack for "Christian music" or good music. Surely all good music is of God whatever the artist's conviction?

Actually I think 777 are limited by $$$ rather than artistic choice. The copyright of newer and better songs precludes their regular use by all but the most commercially viable stations... so maybe it is our fault for not supporting them... not a programming decision...


Hey, it is SO good to see the Great Dboy back in town and kicking ass, booting backside and generally doing, um, stuff.

therevhead

 
At 9:04 pm, June 25, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Nice to see you're back Danny!

I must say I don't necessarily agree with you on the light fm thing. I don't mind them playing no-christian stuff, it is predominately christian after all, it's not like it's most secular with a bit of christian stuff in the mix. I think they do soem good work, some also not so good stuff, but hey, nobody's perfect right?

You were pretty harsh there Danny! SOme valid points, but why does it need to be 100% about God all the time? Can't aspects of God be seen in some things that aren't overtly Christian? Do songs have to mention God to be about Him? I don't think so anyway. Well I don't mind light fm.

 
At 12:05 pm, June 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree Danny! DARN IT! I wanna tune in to hear Christian music!! It was awesome when it started out, what happened?!

*beats Light FM with a metal crowbar*

 
At 3:18 pm, June 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go, Tink! He's posted and run off! Ha! It's enough to make me become A-danny-iestic.

I bet he's sitting a home with a bunch of adoring cultic accolytes playing LAN games rather than tending to the shrine of his devoted followers... Probaly tuned into some top-40 music jock.

May the breathe of a thousand bulgarian garlic munching, unwashed mountain goats enfold him....

 
At 7:18 pm, June 27, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! That EXACTLY what I was thinking!
*cue creepy music*

 
At 10:09 am, June 29, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

I agree with you both about needing to listen to non-Christian music, and also that it can reflect the nature about God, but this is the point: we already HAVE STACKS of stations that do that. If I want to listen to non-Christian music, I tune into Gold FM or Triple J or Nova. But if I wanna listen to Christian music, I've gotta sit through a whole lot of rubbish on Light.

Which brings me to my next point: if Light FM DID play predominately Christian music with a light spattering of good non-Christian stuff, I would be delighted! As it is, if you actually listen deliberately, the non-Christian outnumbers the Christian songs by about 3 to 1 (in their normal playlist). So we have a whole lot of non-Christian stuff that isn't worth listening to, with a spattering of average quality Christian music.

They had it right the first time (on the test broadcasts), so why did they need to change it? The test braodcasts introduced me to so many amazing Christian bands - I'm just so disappointed.

I'm not saying that we need happy butterfly songs - Christian music isn't necessarily like that. I'm not saying that we play Hillsong 24/7 - that would be annoying. What about Sons of Korah (my favourite), DC Talk, Sonicflood, Pillar, Rebecca St. James, Nichole Nordeman (oh yeah), Fido, Mercy Me, Mark Schultz (amazing), Pete Orta, Cheri Keaggy, Point of Grace, Anointed, Nicolle C. Mullen, City on a Hill stuff, Planetshakers, Paul Coleman, Alabaster Box, Mary Mary, All Star United, Skypark, Tree 63, Third Day, Superchic(k), Skillet!, Earthsuit, Beanbag, Switchfoot (oh baby), The Katinas, and so on and so on! I've just scratched the surface of the ones that I know, let alone the ones I don't and would love to get to know. There is so much wasted talent. And then there's the deal with local bands as I outlined in my original comment - why aren't they given the same respect by being played alongside other stuff when people are actually listening to the station. If they REALLY wanted to help out local bands, that's what they'd do.

Yeah, I've been LANing like the dickens over the past couple of days - i'll do another post...

Are you sure about the $$$ thing, Martin? They seemed to do fine in the test broadcasts, and I am absolutely sure that they didn't have as much money then as they do now. I was of the opinion that it wasn't necessary to pay to play a song on the radio because it was like free advertising. Both Dan Baldwin and Luke Orrin have hosted radio shows and played very popular music, and I can't imagine that either they or the station would've had the money to pay for copyright.

 
At 9:19 am, June 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did talk to one of their $$ guys a few months back, who was saying that there were issues about $ for popular songs. I don't think they are that flash with cash.
But you may be right, that may not be the reason for their programming mix...

Who's Martin?

 
At 11:48 am, June 30, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa....

You are easily the funniest guy in the world.

But yes, I can play along... :)

Martin was this guy I knew once. Sorry, I get you both confused because you're both really cool.

 
At 10:58 pm, July 07, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Hmmmm... I may be lessening my criticism of Light FM - I listened to it today, and there was a run of about 8 or 9 good songs in a row. Impressive. Maybe it's the timeslot, cos I don't normally listen in in the afternoon/evening. The guy in the morning (Newman or something) really bugs me. Is he actually meant to be funny? Cos I can't figure it out. Sounds like he's saying a whole bunch of normal BORING rubbish in this voice as if we're supposed to wet ourselves laughing.
Dude.

 
At 4:09 pm, September 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOn;t like it, don't listen to it. Simple.

Start your own Christian radio station.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home