Thursday, October 13, 2005

What A Great Lesson...

I just had a fantastic lesson teaching Year 10 kids on the character of gollum:

First we had a discussion about Gollum's history: the fact that he used to be a Hobbit, where he got his precious from, how he lost it to Bilbo, and how he came to be living in the middle of a lake underneath the mountains.

Then I read the bit in The Hobbit where it describes Gollum, and got them to do a vague sketch of what they think he should look like (trying to give their own interpretation rather than rely on what they've seen from the movie). Then I showed them parts of "The Taming of Smeagol", which is an extra in The Two Towers Special Edition which outlines how they conceptualised Gollum visually and audibly (Andy Serkis is a legend).

Then we watched excerpts from Lord of the Rings that featured Gollum, including his introduction, his capture by Frodo and Sam, compassion from Frodo and suspicion from Sam, Gollum/Smeagol's conversation with himself where Smeagol tells Gollum to "Go away and never come back!", and the bit where Smeagol thinks that Frodo has betrayed him, and so he welcomes back Gollum into himself. The kids were typing furiously, taking notes on every little thing. They lapped it up :)

Then we listen to the song "Gollum's Song", sung by Emiliana Torrini (on the special edition version). If you don't know it or cant remember, it is this amazing dirge sung in this waily, creepy voice, which talks about everything that has happened to Gollum from his perspective. It set the perfect mood: so, so, so sad.

Then I got the kids to write a newspaper report on "The Tragedy of Gollum", while I left the song playing in the background. It was a really incredible atmosphere.

Hooray!

16 Comments:

At 12:28 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Yeah I had 90 minutes :)

They're working towards doing a creative piece for their SAC, so the more they are able to immerse themselves in the world of the text, the better they'll do. It all depends on the end result that you're working towards, so if the final piece of assessment was a persuasive piece, I'd probably go through themes much more thoroughly.

Oh, I forgot to say that for homework they had written two riddles apiece, just like Gollum and Bilbo's riddles in The Hobbit. They were awesome! I'll put one up:

You can hear me
But cannot see me
Light comes after me
But not before me


I've collected them all and now I'm gonna go home and mark them, plus try and figure them all out! (I told them not to write the answer on them)

 
At 12:31 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Brie said...

not fair! we have to do of mice and men...

 
At 12:36 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

I love that book! Poor Lennie...

 
At 12:45 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Brie said...

you love it? so confused... i can't stand it

 
At 1:26 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

You're so awesome Danny!

 
At 4:28 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger Luke said...

Dude, you would have to be the most awesome teacher ever! Where were dudes like you when I was in school?!

Man, that's not work for me, not at all, that's recreation. If a tacher can do that, that's one awesome teacher.

Danny boy, you could go down as the most love teacher ever, just be careful of those evil little girls who try to hit on you! Hoo ha!

 
At 5:45 pm, October 13, 2005, Blogger HoneyBee said...

U LIKED TEACHING YEAR 10 KIDS??? I'D hate to teach us!
I don't like of mice and men that much but if we did lord of the rings i'd get sick of it!
Year 10 kids don't do SACs.SACs r VCE stuff. Like we do Text and traditions unit 2 so we get SACs 4 that but Year 10 subjects don't have them!

 
At 1:37 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger wire said...

at first i thought the answer to the riddle was thunder but then i realised that lightning comes after thunder not before... still thinking

 
At 1:38 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger wire said...

i don't know... the voice of God?

 
At 1:39 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger wire said...

a train coming down a dark tunnel?

 
At 1:42 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger wire said...

i wish i'd gottten to do stuff like this in english, all we did was analyse and re-analyse 'what's eating gilbert grape?' from the stupid teachers guide while notes were written on the whiteboard. uber-boring. not an independant thought in the house. just things like "the flame of the match when she lights her ciggarette symbolises rebirth" and other deadend things.

 
At 1:45 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I never did SACs. They came into existance the year after I left school. I did CATs.

 
At 1:52 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger wire said...

How about this:

i'm stiff
but i am formless
when i am drunk
so are you

way easy but not bad for thirty seconds.

i am always with you
i always pass you by
i was marked at your begining
you will see me then you end


a bit harder but not as tight

 
At 2:35 pm, October 14, 2005, Blogger Luke said...

I'm just tryin' to work out Dboy's stupid riddle...

Light travels faster than sound...so what the heck could it be?!

 
At 1:06 pm, October 15, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I can't think laterally. Well, I find it very difficult.

 
At 1:50 pm, October 25, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

The answer to the riddle above was 'thunder'!

I can't believe we didn't get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home