Monday, January 30, 2006

Update

Well, I think I'm well overdue for an update.

I didn't get the job - got a letter in the mail. I rang my interviewer (he was a really nice guy) to ask him for some tips on what I can improve on, and he said that I was 'pipped at the post' by a person with a bit more experience, and that if the job was a year position, then he probably would have taken me (he needed someone for the position who could just walk in, do the job and then fly off - because I'm a graduate, I would have just been finding my feet as a teacher and then I would've had to leave). He encouraged me though, saying to persevere because I was as keen as mustard. It was a nice conversation, but I guess I still have to make the decision to keep my spirits up.

I ebb and flow with that one - some days I'm incredibly passionate and motivated to keep searching, and then other days I get a bit down, and I have to tell myself not to be like that. It's a bit of a tough road, butI am convinced that God has it all under control - he's taking me on the best road, even if it seems a little difficult at times.

Chrystal and I went on a lovely holiday up the coast to Nambour (2hrs north of Brisbane). We drove, seeing Sydney on the way up (that place drove me nuts - you just CANNOT turn right. Anywhere. You have to do a 'Zoolander' and make three left hand turns to turn right) and Brisbane too. Brisbane was lovely - really nice place. We drove through the city on a late Saturday morning, and it was so quiet. We stopped there and saw The Chronicles of Narnia on an IMAX screen for $5 too. Bargain.

We went to Nimbin on the way back (hippie/commune/drug capital of Australia) just to see what it was like too. About 80 seconds from exiting the car, we walked across a pentagram with was painted on the footpath, and were offered drugs twice by two aboriginal people almost directly outside the police station. Crazy place. A little bit after that we started to feel a bit uncomfortable as it seemed like we were getting weird looks from all the locals who were hanging around. The one old, shaggy guy who looked like he was a bit desperate started following us as we made our way back to the car. We were a little shaken. Haha... one of the shops there was called 'Bringabong', and another shop had the subtitle 'We are not criminals' - I wonder why they felt the need to point that out... hang on, I actually don't wonder at all.

All in all a very relaxing, warm holiday.

Now we're back, Chrystal is at her new job, getting settled in, and I'm at home doing odd jobs (like beating compensation out of our home insurance company, as we were robbed a couple of days after we got back) , looking for jobs and waiting to be called for emergency teaching work.

Well done if you got this far :)

28 Comments:

At 1:20 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

You got robbed? Damn, what'd they take exactly?! :(

And I was laughing so hard at the idea of doing Zoolander turns around the city! :D

 
At 2:01 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

I'm thoroughly convinced that you didn't get this job, because a much better opportunity is on its way. Up until 5 years ago, I got every job I ever applied for... first interview. Then suddenly, as I found myself out of work, I couldn't land even one. I was always "the second choice." It was so frustrating! But then, my current job opened up. It was better pay than anything else I had applied for, and it combined my two loves: education and technology. So... I guess the moral of this story is: keep praying and waiting. It will be there. :-)

 
At 3:30 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

They took almost all of Chrystal's jewelry (except the rings on her fingers!), my digital camera, some Futurama dvds that weren't mine, and, this is ridiculous, an Emjoi gently charger and a mobile phone charger. Crazy idiots. Hehe... Zoolander turns.

Thankyou Ma'am. I will keep doing just that.

 
At 7:01 pm, January 30, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

You're amazing Danny, you'll get the perfect job soon. How could you not? You're the best potential teacher I know! :) Glad to hear what's been going on in your life Dboy. Sounds like an adverturous holiday! Hope to hang out soon!

 
At 10:50 am, January 31, 2006, Blogger Mutt said...

Want us to find this guy who 'pipped your post'? We can, how you say... create another opening for you.

 
At 1:35 pm, January 31, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

*gets out a spiked baseball bat* Let's go hunt us some robbers, KK...

 
At 2:49 pm, January 31, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Can I join in? I'll be the lovable sidekick who makes untimely jokes.

 
At 6:17 pm, January 31, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

When was you rholiday chicken, and why was it so stressful?

 
At 10:57 pm, January 31, 2006, Blogger Zebe said...

ooh i'll help find this guy too. but can we wait til i have my spike collar? i'll be all 'oh, how nice to meet you' *hugs* *stabs thru neck with spikes 2" long*

thats a bitch about the job but i agree with ma'am. definitly something better on the way.

 
At 12:44 am, February 01, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Haha! You're all great! Make-a me laff.

Your Warcraft and Doom references are highly awesome, chickenhead. Load a new life!

brb

 
At 10:18 am, February 02, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

Speaking of Warcaft...

Danny, is the boardgame any good? I was pondering buying it...

 
At 2:13 pm, February 02, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Apparently it is pretty good: kind've like Settlers (the one the Hunts have) except you can fight.

If you're going to get another one though, I'd go for World of Warcraft boardgame. That looks to be the BEST EVER!

 
At 4:02 pm, February 02, 2006, Blogger Zebe said...

the neck spikes are the greatest.. ALL HAIL E-BAY!!

 
At 6:26 pm, February 02, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

...and now it's a boardgame! Pay once, play forever!

 
At 11:34 pm, February 02, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Cant' say I'm interested...

 
At 9:33 am, February 03, 2006, Blogger Martin Boutros said...

Nimbin? The Fishers are ggoing to live there this year as 'missionaries'

Wouldn't it be funny if you ended up there too one day!!

 
At 10:33 am, February 03, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Aarrgghh! Shutup!

 
At 6:02 pm, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see it all. Dboy in pith helmet, oversized sensible shorts, knobbly knees and huge boots, clutching a massive black bible in his right hand , whilst directing a beatific beam with the left.

mrs Dboy in long amish style dress and bonnet holding out a cup of Chai in a home fired clay mug.

I see it all! Evil overlord becomes an 'Albert Schweitzer! -- St Dboy of Nimbin, bane of pipe weed!

 
At 6:07 pm, February 03, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Allen Schweitzer?

 
At 10:51 pm, February 03, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Dame Pipeweed Albert Bible?

 
At 4:13 pm, February 04, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

Dboy, I want another Settlers/Risk type game where you really need to get into it. So Warcraft is like Settlers, World Of Warcraft is like...?

Which one is better? Were you just assuming WoW was better?

 
At 10:45 am, February 06, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

I think WoW is kind of like Hero Quest/Warhammer Quest, if you ever played those.

Hang on, here's the link to the website where you can check them both out:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/boardandcard.html

Check that out! How cool! WoW is nearer to the top, and Warcraft is down a bit near Doom. I think you can even download the rules for the games. Gnarly.

Can't wait to see WoW.

 
At 11:09 am, February 06, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Nobody got my last post...

 
At 7:48 pm, February 06, 2006, Blogger Martin Boutros said...

New post DBoy - you know the rules1 no post / No food!!

 
At 10:41 pm, February 06, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Be ye starved!!!! Arrrr!

 
At 7:18 am, February 07, 2006, Blogger Martin Boutros said...

allen schweitzer???

 
At 11:31 pm, February 07, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Yeah, I still down't get it.

New post coming up! I don't wanna be left not with food!

 
At 11:23 am, February 08, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Arrr! That be right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home