Monday, July 24, 2006

A Story I Wrote for a Year 11 Extra

A donkey. You'd never believe it by the way that it looked at me. Vicous, understanding, benevolent. Its head was half-hidden by a pole. The pole turned green with envy, purple with royalty. How was this possible? A vicious, understanding, benevolent donkey? Head half-hidden by a pole? I wanted to see the half-hidden head. I wanted to be near it, stepping closer.

The pole stopped me. It was red. Anger poured from its concrete base and at its top flew the Jolly Roger. It threatened my curiosity with rageful piracy. I knew very well how cats die.
I sidestepped to left, but the keen, unwavering gaze of the vicious, understanding, benevolent donkey alerted the pole. The Jolly Roger turned to face me once more.

My mind strained beneath the tension, between my burning curiosity and fear of the pole; fear of the raging flag. Which way could I turn? What path was open to me? I must see the half-hidden head!I must gaze upon that which taunts me with its half-hiddenness! But I cannot! I am stalled! I am held hostage! I am BOUND and ANGRY and TREMBLING with STILLNESS. Rising frustration boils about my brain and my mind... is slowly... maddening...

I can feel my whole being twist in on itself.

One final moment of indescribable insanity and... POP!

In a peculiar paradox my descent into madness, from madness, has reversed itself. I take my red pen. I put it to the page. And I continue with my marking.

17 Comments:

At 8:56 pm, July 24, 2006, Blogger Zebe said...

*is confused*

 
At 10:21 pm, July 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you think of the 10 dimensions?
i mean your opinion from a christian view point.

 
At 12:50 pm, July 25, 2006, Blogger MadameBoffin said...

What mark did you get for it?

 
At 5:41 pm, July 25, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Hehe, I give myself a 'B' for effort.

"Well done Dan, you tried very, very hard, didn't you?"

 
At 6:39 pm, July 25, 2006, Blogger Mutt said...

I think it is not possible to read this and not have a quiet private 'heh' at the insanity and clever imagery.

I'd have given you an A

 
At 8:57 am, July 26, 2006, Blogger Mutt said...

Did you really write that while marking?

 
At 4:24 pm, July 26, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Yeah, I was given an 'extra' the other day (a class where u cover for someone else who is away) with some Year 11s, and one of them read a really random diary entry to me. So I thought I would join in and write one too :) I was marking at the time, because they all knew what they were doing.

 
At 7:58 pm, July 26, 2006, Blogger Zebe said...

i dont know who ennui is, but just incase you come back, i hope things are better.
*hugs*

 
At 9:06 pm, July 26, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:07 pm, July 26, 2006, Blogger Luke said...

Ha ha ha! You just gained a world of respect from me my friend. All hail madness! :D

 
At 10:21 am, July 28, 2006, Blogger wire said...

Did you show the class? They would have been very impressed... or scared, very scared. Maybe you should leave the knives at home.

 
At 10:27 am, July 28, 2006, Blogger wire said...

i watched the "10 dimensions" thing. pretty interesting, though i'm not sure if there is a "christian perspective" on it particularly (as opposed to a non-christian's perspective). interesting nonetheless though - as the author of the site suggests - it's a good thing to imagine what might be.

 
At 12:15 pm, July 28, 2006, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

Does the chicken know that the spoon was singing a love song that only the elephant and her caterpillar could hear? 'Cause then the whole thing would make sense to me.

 
At 10:34 pm, July 30, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

That's right, DCMM. The hoosie what whatting the whatsit juuuuuust fine...

I did read it to the class actually, Brent :) Funny you mention journal entries, Puffin, because I was inspired to write this by a girl who was writing a whacky diary entry, so I wanted to encourage her and join in the fun. Don't tell her teacher that I rpobably distracted them from thier work for a little while though...

 
At 4:43 am, September 21, 2006, Blogger mudbrick said...

'tis the greatest story told yet! None shall equal this epic saga... well... yes, YES! I still agree with the above statement!

 
At 1:43 am, February 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Mercedes benz 450 sl fuel sending unit Mailboxes umax ppc Hewlett-packard photosmart 5.1-megapixel digital camera colors of maple finish cabinets what is paxil Tadalafil ship to online fountain development company carlsbad ca Vintage mary kay cosmetics bag forex trainers Freezers canada only Alexandra pilates Commercial coffee maker repair

 
At 11:00 am, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home