Sunday, December 03, 2006

I Forgot...

...how much I love poetry, and how I wasn't that bad at it. I can't find all of my pain-filled poems of Year 11 and 12 (which is a bit disappointing), but I came across this the other day. I've spent so much time over the past few years writing argumentative and informative stuff for uni that I had almost forgotten that I even had a creative side. Anyhow, this is one of the poems I found (10 points for the person who can suggest a good title!). By the way, I wrote this before "The Passion of Christ" came out, so it wasn't inspired by the movie.

Courageous Christ,
You held back your fist
When they bloodied your face.
You restrained your army
When they ripped you with whips.

Brave Jesus,
You reserved your justice
As they spat on your name.
You stayed your might
As they blackened your body.

Angels watched.
Did they cry? Did they weep?
Did they scream in frustration?
Tears and burning swords.
Blood, vinegar and thorns.
Painful nails in their Lord of Lords.

Silence.
One voice.
He speaks.
And eternity stands amazed.

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

-

Unfathomable you,
As I nail you to the cross with my sin,
As angels cry in disgust at my wrongs,
As I heap the evil I do upon
your back,
You lay on a cross
Asking for my forgiveness
And proving your most powerful love.

11 Comments:

At 11:31 pm, December 03, 2006, Blogger Zebe said...

woah..
thats so good..
:)

 
At 9:09 am, December 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Dan. That's really powerful...

 
At 4:52 pm, December 04, 2006, Blogger wire said...

yeah - that's really an amazing piece of writing. mind if i keep a copy?

 
At 12:11 am, December 05, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

That's great Dboy. You're a talented man!

 
At 8:51 am, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow writing about made up characters and events is really challenging.

title suggestion: The bible is a work of fiction.

or perhaps: If you believe this you'll believe anything.

 
At 12:05 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Don't you think it's quite degrading to dismiss things that people believe in so strongly? How can you know for sure that you are right Chris? It's one thing to disagree, it's another to attack someone for believing it.

 
At 2:32 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger Dboy said...

Thanks guys :)

I could react to that, Chris, but it isn't worth my time :P Do some research.

 
At 8:53 pm, December 05, 2006, Blogger Soldier of Truth said...

how about "powerful meekness" i think it may become a best seller.

 
At 9:19 pm, December 13, 2006, Blogger Martin Boutros said...

write s'more Dboy!

 
At 1:22 pm, December 17, 2006, Blogger mudbrick said...

Mmmmm! 'Smore's!

 
At 10:34 am, January 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Most Powerful Love"?
I have to say, knowing you, I see that your character shows how deeply you know this is true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home