Monday, August 15, 2005

Adventures!

Chrystal and I went on one of our little adventures last Saturday night. It was great.

We got dressed up pretty and headed into the city, with the plan to have dinner somewhere and do whatever we felt like doing. First stop was Chinatown. We walked up through Little Bourke for a while pondering which restuarant to eat at, and half enjoying, half getting irritated at the people who stand out the front and hassle you to come inside, and Chrystal spotted a sign that said some kind of Japanese name with "Stonegrill" in the title. Only problem was it looked like it was in a food court. Chrystal persisted that we should check it out so we went in. It turned out to be this gorgeous Japanese-style place which had the best steak I've ever tasted. They served most of the food uncooked on these slabs of stone, and you actually get to cook the food yourself (because the stone is so hot) as you eat it. This means that every mouthful was perfectly done, hot and very tasty. It was quite a fun activity too :) The whole place was filled with this smokey coolness and the atmosphere was great. We both ordered one of those wacko Asian drinks too. Mine had beans in the bottom.

So after that we decided to check out movies. Madagascar was the only one that we really felt like seeing, but it wasn't on that late at the cinemas on Russel/Burke St., and we couldn't be bothered walking all the way to crown, so we waltzed around the city for a bit and just had a nice walk.

We thought we'd go for a drink, so we started heading down Southbank way, and I had a cool idea. I remembered when Chrystal's grandparents took us for dinner at the Sheraton Towers, and thought that that would be a nice place for desert wine and some nice sweet niblets. So we went along, but couldn't find it (I was sure I knew where it was). Anyway, after walking for a little bit, I decided to give up and go to a nice wine bar on Southbank, but Chrystal suggested we ask a porter at a nearby hotel to see if he knew where Sheraton Towers were. We walked up to the hotel and something was nagging me in the back of my mind about this hotel (I was sure I'd seen it before). We asked him and he tells us that this hotel used to be Sheraton Towers but had changed its name. Nice :) We walked in and had a beautiful crisp muscat and some Pistaccio gelati. There was this amazing guy playing piano there too - real chubby bloke, but he played with the feeling and grace of an artist. Everyone was clapping him, and it was a lovely place to be.

On the walk back we saw a group of Asian people singing worship songs at Flinders St Station. It was great - there was a whole lot of people watching them, and a couple of Aussie blokes were joining in with the fun (being really funny about it, but it was really inclusive and great to see).

All in all a gorgeous night. I love city adventures where you head into the city for a night and just see what happens and where you end up. The two places that we found though have made that adventure probably the most succesful that I've had :)

16 Comments:

At 3:07 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Blog site you've provided, keep it up.
Save Time Looking For Buy A CarFact and Information
Visit Buy A Car

 
At 5:52 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's right, the possum crappicinos I like to call them

 
At 6:57 pm, August 15, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

That sounds like so much fun Danny! I love doing things like that. I'm so not a planning kinda gal. I like just going somewhere and then doing whatever you feel like at the time. Glad you had so much fun. that Japanese restaurant sounds like so much fun. But did you say it was in CHINAtown? What the?

 
At 7:29 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
i am hajieh i have best weblog ( in the science)
bye

 
At 7:29 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
i am hajieh i have best weblog ( in the science)
bye


http://hajieh.blogsky.com/

 
At 7:34 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comments in reference to your talk dboy:

I've never heard you so serious. Maybe that just shows that I don't know you well enough.
But it was truly great. I saw it really hit home for many people, everyone was so attentive. Fergus just before had said how he was struggling with lonlyness, but you didn't just address the problem, explained the symptoms and encouraged self diagnoses with personal experiences (kudos for you for sharing btw) but you gave helpful hints for fixing the problems, both practical and spiritual
not that spiritual isn't practical... :P

As far as personal relevance goes, I believe you said that everyone struggles with lonelyness. Even Tink said on her blog recently "I'd be shocked if I could find someone who hadn't struggled with loneliness at some point in their life."
Not saying this purely to try and be better than you, or to be different, I seriously cannot think of a time when I have been lonely. There have been times when I've been bored, there have been times when I needed to ask someone a question but there had been no one, but they are hardly lonelyness. It probably has something to do with me being an introvert, and always being around my brother. I have a really close knit family and extended family and there has always been someone around, more often than not, someone around even when I didn't want them around. I can't recall ever feeling lonely at all, I suppose I struggle with the other extreme, I'm always trying to avoid people... but that's a different issue.

But I assume I'm a minority, I usually am. Like I said, I personally saw it hit home to many people. There was maybe one or two people who weren't listening avidly, and that's rare. Especially since one of those people was a baby.

A+

 
At 8:12 pm, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" C. S. Lewis

 
At 8:28 pm, August 15, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Wow, great comments guys - thanks.

Yeah, I thought of you guys when I was out, thinking how cool it would be to go with buddies (especially you, Pavlos, and your ineterest in different restaurants). I would so love to get a group together one time. Maybe we could do a 'blog social'! That would be ace! Yeah, the restaurant we went to was pretty unique - I loved it. My drink wasn't that nice, but it was wacko, so I was happy :) You know me well.

It's funny, it's called Chinatown, but it really should be called Asiatown, cos there's Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and most of all the other 'nese'es there too. We actually prefer not to eat Chinese, because it's a bit more salty and gooey. Vietnamese and Japanese are our favourites :)

Thanks for your comments on my talk, Kohl. I'll post another thread and we'll chat :)

 
At 10:11 pm, August 15, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun Dboy! Let's do it!!!!

That's really facinating to hear kohl. I've never heard another person say that before, but that is a wonderful thing. It's a true reflection on the amazing nature of your family.

Great quote wanda. Gotta love C S Lewis!

 
At 9:46 am, August 16, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Yeah, love that quote and love Dr. Lewis (I just gave him an honourary doctorate in awesomeness).

And I agree with Peebody - Sister Wanda should definately have a site by now. Especially because then I could quote Hamlet to people and say "Get thee to a nunnery!". Ahahahahaha....

 
At 5:57 pm, August 16, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Oh mad! How do you get an doctorate in awesomness! I want one!

 
At 8:14 am, August 18, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

You have to be pretty awesome. Not just like, "great". It takes a lot of hard training at Awesome Camp.

 
At 12:12 pm, August 18, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I wanna go!

 
At 7:50 pm, August 18, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

You have to sign up in Hertfordshire, UK. I'm going next year :)

 
At 12:42 am, August 19, 2005, Blogger Ludicrousity said...

You're paying? Oh great! I'm there!

 
At 12:39 am, August 24, 2005, Blogger Dboy said...

Who? You? Paying?! Even better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home